2018 MISS GEORGIA USA and MISS GEORGIA TEEN USA
November 16-18, 2017
Henry County Performing Arts Center
Kimberly Payne Greenwood / Executive Director
Hello, and welcome to our website! I was Miss Tennessee USA 1989 and can tell you first hand that being a part of this pageant can be a life changing experience. I had the great honor of traveling throughout the state, meeting wonderful people statewide, and representing Tennessee at the Miss USA pageant as well as internationally entertaining the U.S. troops abroad on USO Tours to seven countries. Looking back, I realize that my year as Miss Tennessee USA will always be one of the most dynamic and positive experiences in my life. However, I also realize that even if I had never won the actual title, I would still be a stronger, more confident, self-assured, and goal oriented person simply as a result of my participation in the pageant. I truly believe in the personal growth and individual development that is cultivated by one's participation in this organization.
When the Miss Universe Organization contacted me in 1992 about assuming the directorship in the state of Tennessee, my husband and I prayed about the opportunity and ultimately felt that it would be a wonderful way for us to give back to a state that had been very good to us. I knew first hand that it was a great program for young women and I have committed my work to encouraging excellence in young women for over eleven years now. Similarly, the Miss Universe Organization asked me to assume the directorship of the Miss Georgia USA Program and I felt it was a wonderful opportunity to encourage more young women to push themselves to be their personal best! I am very excited to be a part of this program in Georgia!
My focus from the beginning has been for this program to provide a fair environment in which young women have the opportunity to better themselves. I hope the pageant encourages the contestants to gain self-awareness, self-confidence, individual pride, and greater social awareness. I hope each contestant improves their ability to communicate effectively, to speak in front of people, and to stand up for what they believe in. I encourage our contestants to find issues they feel strongly about, and to become involved in organizations and causes that speak to their hearts. Each young lady who has entered this program has had different goals and our staff strives hard to assist each person in their personal quest for excellence.
I am pleased that a large number of contestants each year have never been in a pageant and they find it to be a rewarding and worthwhile experience. Many contestants have won their first time out, and many others return because of the positive experience they had in our program. I like to think that each young woman walks away from our program a little more ready to deal with the world around her, and more importantly, the world ahead of her.
My philosophy for the Miss Georgia USA program is not about encouraging young women to "win" a pageant, but to encourage young women to develop life skills that will ultimately help them win in life by being their personal best in everything they do.
Let me tell you a little about the pageant weekend...the pageant is scheduled for November 16-18, 2017 in McDonough, GA. On a Thursday morning our Teen and Miss delegates check-in to spend the morning and afternoon in rehearsals with our choreographer at the Theater. That evening, the Mayor and the city of McDonough host you for a "welcome dinner" for all of our contestants during which you will also have the opportunity to listen to a motivational speaker who will drive home the message of becoming your personal best. Friday is spent in rehearsals which leads to the Preliminary Competition in which each delegate will compete in Swimsuit and Evening Gown. Your gown selection is up to you and your own personal choices. Saturday morning is spent in personal interviews with the judges and the Final Show is that Saturday night in which the new Miss Georgia USA and Miss Georgia Teen USA will be crowned. The winner of the Miss Georgia USA Pageant will advance to the nationally televised MISS USA Pageant, and the winner of the Miss Georgia Teen USA Pageant will advance to the MISS TEEN USA Pageant. Should Miss Georgia USA go on to win MISS USA, she would then advance to the ultimate contest... the internationally televised MISS UNIVERSE Pageant.
Each Contestant will compete in three equal phases of preliminary competition: swimsuit/active wear, evening gown, and interview. The scores from the preliminary phases of competition are added up, and the contestants with the highest composite scores become semifinalists. The number of semifinalists will be between 10 and 15, and will be determined by the total number of contestants in the competition. Scoring is based on the following:
• Swimsuit/Active Wear: each contestant is evaluated on her physical fitness, stage-presence, and overall impression.
• Evening Gown: each contestant is evaluated on grace, poise, style, stage presence, the confidence with which she carries herself, and overall-impression.
• Interview: preliminary interviews are personal one-on-one style. You will have four minute interviews with each of the five judges. Its very comfortable and conversational. Contestants are scored on their communication skills, and personality. They are NOT scored on their opinions or personal beliefs.
Once the semifinalists are announced during the final show, they will again compete in swimsuit/active wearand evening gown. These two phases of competition will narrow the field to a group of five finalists.
The top-5 will then each have an on-stage interview. The interview will be conducted by the emcee with one randomly selected question unrelated to their bio, and submitted prior to the show by the panel of judges. After the top-5 interviews, the judges will select a winner, 1st runner-up, 2nd runner-up, 3rd runner-up, and 4th runner-up in each age group.
Each contestant will need rehearsal clothing (yoga pants, workout top, tennis shoes, etc.). They will also need a nice dress or pants outfits for the welcome dinner. The required competition and stage wardrobe is as follows:
• Opening Production Number:
• Glamorous short ‘cocktail’ type dress (above the knee)
• SILVER only – solid
• Glitzy or sleek (think model)
• Be stylish with choices – fashionable
• Neckline does not matter – short sleeve, halter, long sleeve, etc.
• Strappy heels (keep it simple) No stones/bling/sparkle
• Color – Silver only (no acrylics, nude or gold shoes)
• 4 inch maximum height
• 1/2” to 1” platform acceptable - No excessive platforms (no tippy tops)
• Earrings that reflect your personal style
• Silver accessories
• Glam the outfit
• Color – WHITE only (as shown below)
• No jeans/leggings
• Be cautious with under-garments
• Color – solid WHITE only
• Long sleeve, short sleeve or sleeveless
• No patterns/beading or sparkles
• Be cautious with under-garments
• PINK strappy heels (light pink to bright pink)
• No sparkle/bling – Keep it simple
• 4 inch maximum height (movement is key)
• ½” to 1” platform is acceptable – NO EXCESSIVE PLATFORMS
• As needed
• Private Interview:You should choose an outfit that you find appropriate for a job interview, and that reflects your personality. The outfit should make you feel comfortable and confident. Some examples include: pants and a blouse, a nice dress, a skirt with a coordinating top, etc. The outfit can range from dressy casual to business oriented. The most important thing is to wear something that you would normally wear. Do not choose an outfit that is too flashy, as it might be distracting. Do not choose cocktail attire. There should be no beads, sequins, etc. Select shoes that compliment your outfit. Earrings, necklace, bracelets, etc., are appropriate when not overdone.
Two-piece bikini – or one piece swimsuit:
• String bikinis are acceptable
• RED only (fire engine red) ORANGE or YELLOW (solid only)
• No trim color
• No metallic, sequin or, velvet materials/fabrics
• No rhinestones/beads
• Metal type fasteners are acceptable (no rhinestones)
• No “built in” necklaces/jewelry
• Strappy heels (keep it simple)
• Color – Silver only
• No stones/bling/sparkle
• 4 inch maximum height
• No excessive platforms (no tippy tops)
• Silver hoop earrings only
• No necklaces
• Additional accessories (optional)
• Athletic Wear:
Bikini top only / or one piece swimsuit
• Color – BLACK ONLY – sports bra (long fitness top acceptable)
• No trim color | No metallic, sequin or velvet materials
• No sheer/see thru materials
Examples of bikini top/active wear top:
BOTTOM/Leggings (to be worn with bikini top or sports bra top)
• Active wear leggings
• Color – BLACK only (long or capri length – NO shorts)
• No embellishments of any sort
• NO sheer/see thru materials
Examples of bottom/leggings:
• Tennis Shoes – no particular brand required
• Color – BLACK only (white/gray accents are acceptable
• Keep it simple – no colored laces (like red, yellow, etc.)
• No platform/wedge tennis shoes
• Do not add embellishments to the shoes
Examples of shoes:
• Silver hoop earrings only or simple studs
**Special reminder – no body glitter or oils permitted
• Evening Gown: all contestants must have a full-length evening gown of their choice. The style, design, and color is up to you. It can be elaborate, or very simple. Choose something that makes you feel like Cinderella. Your gown should represent YOUR own personality and taste. Remember, you can look like a million bucks without spending a million bucks! Teens are encouraged to wear gowns that reflect a more youthful style and look than the Miss contestants.
• All types of gowns are permitted for evening wear competition
• Find a dress that fits your body type/figure
• Gown should reflect your age/personality/style
• Please ensure the dress is appropriate for stairs – both up & down (MISS)
• 4 inch maximum height (must be able to move up and down stairs quickly)
• No excessive platforms
• Accessorize as needed
How to Enter:
After reviewing all of the information on our website, if you have an interest in becoming a contestant, please click on the Apply Today starburst under the menu bar and follow the instructions. There is NO fee required to apply. Once we receive your application and photo, it will be forwarded along with all other pertinent information to the pageant committee. If your application is approved, you will need to participate in a phone interview before being offered an invitation to become an official contestant. This truly could be the chance of a lifetime, so don't delay, Apply Today!
Hopefully, our website has provided you with a sense about our company, our program, and the many opportunities it offers. We hope it has answered most of your questions about the pageant competition as well. Nevertheless, we realize there is no way we can adequately convey answers to all of your questions, or our genuine passion for this program without speaking to you in person. Please, don't hesitate to contact us, at anytime, with any questions or concerns. We are here for YOU! We sincerely hope you will decide to become a part of our "pageant family!"